5 Simple Things

September 6, 2011

via pinterest

I'm a creature of habit, but I always welcome new beginnings with the change of seasons. This time around I thought I would start what will hopefully become a monthly exercise in mindfulness and simplicity. My intent is to gather my thoughts at the beginning of each month to come up with 5 simple yet meaningful things that will keep me centered and happy.

For September I'm inspired by the slowness of summer. Although I'm more than ready for fall, I don't want to get caught up in the hecticness of the back to school routine, busier work schedule and longer to-do list. So this month I'll look for ways to slow down and be present in the midst of all the change.

Here are my 5 Simple Things for a slow and simple September:
  1. Sunset walks. We spent hot summer nights chasing fireflies...now I'm looking forward to the crisp breeze of early fall. 
  2. Sleep. It would be nice to actually feel rested for a change so I'm going to shoot to be in bed by 10:30 on weeknights. 
  3. Breakfast with Jules. Usually while Jules has breakfast I pack his lunch bag and listen to the news. I vow to find at least 5 minutes to sit and be present during this time. It might even result in me actually having something to eat other than a cup of coffee. 
  4. Read. As in get through all the books I borrowed from the library over the summer but never actually read. 
  5. Declutter. I already got a jump start on this yesterday with my closet. Unlike my failed attempt earlier this year, this time I meant business (I didn't let my emotions cloud my judgement). 5 bags of clothes later...you can actually walk into my walk-in closet. Next up: Jules' closet and toys, the medicine cabinet and magazines/paperwork.

How are you welcoming the change of seasons? What are your 5 Simple Things?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea. I'm going to take some time to think of ways of slowing down, too...fall is a very hectic time in our house. Thanks for the inspiration!

Barbie // Fringe and Feathers said...

It's too bad we have to work so hard at slowing down!

Fringe & Feathers All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger