Loaded with contradictions: My kind of azabache

February 1, 2011


Like many Cubans and other Latinos, I was wearing an azabache within minutes of being born. In Latin culture, it’s custom for babies and adults to wear one to protect them from mal de ojo or the evil eye. I wore some version of it (pin, necklace charm) until I was old enough to refuse to do so.

Much to the dismay of many family members, I chose not to follow the tradition with my son. I’m definitely superstitious (you’ll never catch me walking under a ladder or putting my purse on the floor), but this was one superstition I didn’t feel the need to follow.

But I might just be having a change of heart. Enter The Light and the Truth Bracelet by nomoikoru. The strong modern gunmetal is an interesting contrast to the rustic vintage eye stamp, while the magnesite bead is a lovely counterbalance to the dark black glass bead. I’m considering picking one up for myself, and even having one sized down for Jules, because this here is an azabache I can get down with.


1 comments:

Iris said...

Me likey!

Fringe & Feathers All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger